We know it sounds crazy to put clay on your hair. We feel you. You can't just apply any product to your hair without risking damage or difficulty washing it off.
However, Bentonite Clay isn't just any type of clay or sand - it has actual benefits for your hair. Bentonite clay is a natural ingredient sourced directly from the earth. It contains a mixture of natural minerals and antimicrobial ingredients that can promote hair growth.
What Is Bentonite Clay?
Bentonite Clay is a natural clay with a fine texture that comes from aging volcanic ash. Some people use it for its medical or cosmetic benefits, such as treating acne or rashes.
For thousands of years, Bentonite Clay has been used to remove impurities from the skin, such as oils and toxins from the body.
Research has also shown that it has some beneficial properties for natural hair, and can encourage hair growth and maintain a healthy scalp.
Benefits of Bentonite Clay on Natural Hair
1. Promotes hair growth
Bentonite clay contains a mixture of natural minerals such as sodium, calcium, and potassium that are beneficial for your hair and can encourage hair growth.
Additionally, these minerals help to remove dead skin cells from your scalp and cleanse your hair follicles, allowing new, healthy hair to grow.
2. Conditions hair and reduces frizz
Bentonite clay can be used as a conditioning treatment to achieve soft, defined, and moisturized hair.
Applying this treatment as a hair mask or rinse before styling your kinky curls can significantly improve your results.
You'll be able to get rid of tangles or knots, your curls will clump better, and you'll reduce the amount of frizz your natural hair would have on a normal day.
3. Enhances curl definition and boosts shine
Bentonite clay can also be used as a hair mask. When applied, it effectively penetrates your strands, helping to achieve defined curls and add shine to your hair.
4. Cleanses and clarifies natural hair
Bentonite clay has absorbent properties that stick well to dirt and buildup in the hair, making them easy to wash away when shampooing.
The clay treatment can be seen as both a shampoo and conditioner, or even as a better alternative to shampoo. After using the treatment, your hair should feel softer, more hydrated, and not stripped of moisture.
Moreover, it is excellent at drawing out toxins, chemicals, and buildup from the hair when you wash off the clay. This process detoxifies and clarifies both your scalp and hair.
5. Eliminates dandruff
Dandruff is caused by a fungus called Malassezia that infects the scalp. The extra sebum or natural oil produced by the scalp promotes the growth of this fungus.
Bentonite clay helps to eliminate dandruff by absorbing the excess sebum and creating an uncomfortable environment for the fungus to thrive on the scalp.
Bentonite clay also has antimicrobial properties that can kill bacteria, viruses, and fungus on the scalp and hair. It can prevent the growth of new dandruff and is an ideal solution for other scalp conditions.
How to Make DIY Bentonite Clay Mask at Home
Although there are slight variations in making bentonite clay mask, three ingredients remain constant: clay, water, and apple cider vinegar (ACV).
Here's how you can make your own bentonite clay at home:
- Choose a bentonite clay of your choice. You can purchase it from stores or supermarkets.
- Use a wooden, ceramic, or plastic bowl and spoon to mix the ingredients together.
A metallic bowl or spoon is not ideal because it can activate the clay before it reaches your hair, reducing its ability to detoxify your hair. We don't want that!
- Pour the apple cider vinegar and water into the bowl.
- Mix until the texture is smooth and creamy, like yogurt.
- Your bentonite clay recipe is now ready to use!
How To Apply Bentonite Clay On Natural Hair
The most popular way to apply Bentonite clay is by doing a hair mask. Follow these steps for application:
- Section your hair and spritz warm water over your curls to hydrate them.
- Apply the treatment to your hair from roots to tips.
- Massage your scalp until the clay is evenly spread on every strand of your hair. Avoid letting the clay dry on your curls, and keep your hair moisturized and hydrated during the treatment.
- After applying the treatment to every inch of your hair, cover your head with a shower cap to allow the nutrients to be absorbed into your hair. This will keep your hair moisturized throughout the treatment. Spraying water on your hair will also help increase moisture.
- Leave the treatment in for 10-20 minutes.
- Rinse out thoroughly and then deep condition to moisturize your hair again.
Bentonite clay can make a great addition to your hair regimen. You can do this once a month or when you need to do a complete curl reset.
Are There Any Side Effects to Using Bentonite Clay on Natural Hair?
Research has not identified any side effects from using Bentonite Clay treatment. However, it is important to be aware of any reactions your hair may have to the treatment. These reactions can help determine whether you need to adjust the amount of clay used or the length of time it is left in your hair.
Performing a skin patch test can also help determine how your hair will react to the treatment. This test involves applying the treatment to a small section of hair and leaving it in for a few minutes to identify any possible side effects.