Most people can't imagine putting clay on their natural hair. We get that feeling. You can't just apply any product on your hair, who knows, it could damage your hair or be impossible to wash off. But Bentonite Clay isn't just any type of clay or sand, it has actual benefits for your hair. Bentonite clay is a natural ingredient that is sourced directly from the earth and contains a mixture of natural minerals and antimicrobial ingredients that can cause hair growth.
What Is Bentonite Clay?
Bentonite Clay is a natural clay from aging volcanic ash with a fine texture. Some people use it for medical or cosmetic benefits such as treating acne or rashes. For thousands of years, Bentonite Clay has been used to remove impurities on the skin, such as oils and toxins on the body. Research has also shown that it has some beneficial properties for natural hair and can encourage hair growth and maintain a healthy scalp. This article explores how Bentonite Clay can be good for your hair's health.
Benefits Of Bentonite Clay On Natural Hair
1. Aids with hair growth
This clay contains a mixture of natural minerals like sodium, calcium, and potassium that are beneficial for your hair and can encourage hair growth. In addition, they help to remove dead skin cells from your scalp and cleanses your hair follicles, so new healthy hair can grow out.
2. Conditions hair and reduces frizz
Bentonite clay can be used as a conditioning treatment to achieve soft, defined, and moisturized hair. Doing this treatment as a hair mask or rinse before styling your kinky curls can significantly improve the results you achieve. You are able to get rid of tangles or knots, your curls clump better, and reduce the amount of frizz your natural hair would have on a normal day.
3. Encourages curl definition and boosts shine
4. It cleanses and clarifies natural hair
Bentonite clay has absorbent properties which do the work of sticking well to dirt and buildup to the hair so they can be easily washed up when shampooing. The clay treatment can be seen as a sort of shampoo and conditioner in one. Or better still, a better alternative to shampoo. The resultant effect after using the treatment is softer, hydrated hair without being stripped of moisture.
It is also great at drawing out toxins, chemicals, and buildups from the hair when you wash the clay off. That way, it detoxifies and clarifies your scalp and hair.
5. Gets rid of dandruff
Dandruff happens when a fungus called Malassezia infects your scalp. The extra sebum or natural oil produced by your scalp helps this fungus grow more. Bentonite clay helps to get rid of dandruff by soaking up this extra sebum and making it uncomfortable for this fungus to thrive on your scalp
Bentonite clay also has antimicrobial properties that have the potentials to kill bacteria, viruses, and fungus from your scalp and hair. It has the ability to prevent the new growth of dandruff and it’s perfect to use if you have any other scalp conditions.
How To Make A DIY Bentonite Clay
There are slight variations in making bentonite clay, but 3 ingredients remain constant.
- Apple Cider Vinegar [ACV]
To learn how to make bentonite clay at home, in this tutorial below, Yolz explains the process in detail.
Here is how you can make your Bentonite Clay at home.
- Use a bentonite clay of your choice. You can get this from stores or supermarkets.
- Use a wooden, ceramic, or plastic bowl and spoon to mix the ingredients together. A metallic bowl or spoon won't be ideal for this because of its ability to activate the clay before it reached your hair. Hence, reducing its ability to detoxify your hair and we don't want that.
- Pour the Apple Cider Vinegar and water into the bowl.
- Mix until smooth and creamy like the texture of yogurt.
- Your bentonite clay recipe is ready to use!
How To Apply Bentonite Clay On Natural Hair
The most popular way to apply the Bentonite clay is by doing a mask. Here are the steps for application:
- Section your hair and spritz warm water over your curls to hydrate them.
- Apply the treatment to your hair from roots to tips.
- Massage your scalp until the clay is evenly spread to every strand of your hair. Avoid allowing the clay to dry on your curls, so keep it moisturized and hydrated during the treatment.
- After applying the treatment across every inch of your hair, cover your head with a shower cap which would allow the nutrient to be absorbed into your hair. This would keep your hair moisturized throughout the period of the treatment. Spraying water on your hair also helps to increase moisture.
- Leave the treatment in for 10-20 minutes.
- Next, rinse out thoroughly and then deep condition to moisturize the hair again.
Bentonite clay can make a great addition to your hair regime. You can do this one in a month or when you need to do a complete curl reset.
Are There Any Side-Effects To Using Bentonite Clay On Natural Hair?
Research so far hasn't identified any side effects from the use of the Bentonite Clay treatment. However, you should be on the watch for reactions to your hair when you use this treatment. The reactions from using it could determine if you need a lesser amount of clay for this treatment or if you should leave it in on the hair for lesser or more time.
It also helps to do a skin patch test to see how your hair would react to the treatment. This test involves applying the treatment to a small section of the hair and then leaving it in for a few minutes in order to identify any possible side effects.