Mini twists are the holy grail of low manipulation hairstyles. They help give you a break from constant manipulation and styling of the hair. The best part is that they don't require you to pay so much attention to them, just moisturize frequently and you are good to go.
Unlike your regular twists, mini twists are smaller and you would need a longer period of time to complete this hairstyle. So, stay entertained with your favorite Netflix show while making these mini twists.
How to do Mini Twists
Miya Sade shows how to do mini twists on your natural hair in this tutorial.
Here is a breakdown of all the steps she shared in this tutorial.
What you need
- Leave-in conditioner
- Hair oil of choice
- Hair buttercream
- Fine tooth comb
- Wide-tooth comb
Step 1: Make a u-part opening
- Start with freshly washed and deep conditioned hair.
- Using the fine-tooth comb make a u-part opening in front of your hair. This section will serve as your bangs for this hairstyle. If you don't want bangs, go ahead and skip this step.
Step 2: Moisturize your hair
- Apply your leave-in conditioner to the u-part opening of your hair and go in with the buttercream.
- Then apply some oil to it. This is called the LCO method where you moisturize the hair with leave-in conditioner, then cream, and finally, seal in with an oil.
Step 3: Make your bangs
- Take out a mini section of hair from the u-part section and twist from the roots to the ends.
- Finger coil the ends of each twist so it comes out curly.
- Repeat for all sections of the u-part until your bangs are done.
Step 4: Do the side sections of your mini twists
- Make a section going straight across your hair at the side.
- Moisturize that section using the LCO method and detangle.
- Take out a mini section from the section you had previously and twist from the roots to the ends.
- Then finger coil the ends.
- Repeat the same steps for the other side of your hair.
Step 5: Make the back section of your mini twists
- Follow the same process. Moisturize with the LCO method and detangle with a wide-tooth comb afterward.
- Take out mini sections of hair and twist from root to ends.
- Finger coil your ends.
- And you are finally done.
How to maintain mini twists
Here are some tips on how to maintain your mini twists.
- It is recommended to keep in your mini twists for a maximum of 4 weeks.
- Always throw on a satin scarf before you head off to bed. This will help to protect your mini twists and prevent loss of moisture as you sleep.
- To keep your mini twists odorless from prolonged wear, massage your scalp with oil often. You can also wash your scalp with a good cleansing shampoo.
- Moisturize your mini twists often. Fill your spray bottle with water and a leave-in, then spritz it over your mini twists from roots to ends and saturate your hair well. Apply light oil to your hair from roots to end to seal in the moisture.
- To get your mini twists to stay frizz-free, do not touch your hair with your hands so much. You should try to keep your hands to yourself.