The pineapple hair method is a great technique for stretching your curls overnight. This hairstyle involves piling a loose set of curls on top of your head, creating a shape that closely resembles a pineapple.
It's also a perfect go-to style when you don't know what to do with a week-old twist out or wash and go. If you're looking to prevent a tangled mess of curly hair, give the pineapple hairstyle a try.
How to Do the Pineapple Hairstyle on Curly Hair
What you need
- Spray bottle of water and leave-in mix
- Bristle brush
- Elastic hair tie
- Edge control
Step 1: Refresh your edges
- Start with fully dried hair and not wet hair.
- Spray your edges with the water and leave-in mix and brush with a bristle brush.
- You can also moisturize your hair with a leave-in conditioner before putting it into this style.
Step 2: Make your pineapple
- Gather your hair into a high ponytail at the top of your head, bringing it as close to your forehead as possible so your curls sit at the very top of your head.
- Take an elastic hair tie with enough stretch to go around your hair once, and tie it around your hair.
- Fluff your hair with your hands to create more volume.
Step 3: Brush up flyaway strands
- If your hair is on the shorter side and there are some flyaway hairs at the back, simply spritz the back of your hair with the water and leave-in mix, brush it up, and secure it with bobby pins.
Step 4: Style with a bandana or scarf
- This step is optional. If you like, you can style your look with your favorite bandana or scarf.
- Fold the bandana or scarf into a triangle and place it on the back of your head with the triangle pointing upwards.
- Tie it up in front and secure it. Fluff your hair again to achieve the desired shape.
Step 5: Lay your edges
- Spray the water and leave-in mix on your edges.
- Apply edge control and lay your edges as desired using a toothbrush or edge brush.
- Flaunt your look!
If you want to recreate the pineapple hairstyle with more volume and length, the kinky curly ponytail is a quick and easy fix for that.
Check out Alyssa Marie's tutorial video below. Her step-by-step guide, in addition to our own, will help you achieve the perfect pineapple look in no time!