Heat can damage your natural hair, but sometimes it's necessary to use a hot comb or blow dryer to straighten kinky curls. When applying heat, it's important to protect your natural hair with a heat protectant to keep your strands soft and moisturized.
Heat protectants are products designed to protect your hair from heat damage while keeping strands soft and moisturized. However, not all heat protectants are made equal, so it's important to choose the right one for your hair type and needs.
If you're looking for the best heat protectants for natural hair, this article provides detailed information about some of the most popular and effective options on the market. Read on to find out which heat protectants are worth your time and money.
1. Joico Ironclad Thermal Protectant
Product Claim: Joico Ironclad Thermal Protectant claims to protect hair against thermal damage and fight frizz.
3 Honest Reviews Of Joico Ironclad Thermal Protectant
- "First of all, this product smells amazing so it’s worth it just for that. Second, using this before I curl my hair is the ONLY thing that works to keep my curls. It protects your hair from heat but helps hold style, too! It feels dry instantly." - Kacie on Amazon.
- "Not only does this product protect from heat but it actually helps my hair hold a curl too! Love this product and will definitely purchase again!" - Melanie on Amazon.
- "I really love this thermal spray. The scent is good and it works well even when curling with the flat iron -- holds the style well. I will definitely repurchase." - Deborah on Amazon.
2. Living Proof Restore Instant Protection Spray
Product Claim: Living Proof Restore Instant Protection Spray claims to gently cleanse hair, add slip, and reduce damage from wet combing. It also helps lock in color.
2 Honest Reviews Of Living Proof Restore Instant Protection Spray
- "After searching for a new shampoo and conditioner my sister recommended I try Living Proof. Everywhere was out of the phd which was highly recommended so I opted for this instead and I am so happy that I did. My hair smells amazing and looks so much better." - Katie on Amazon
- "I liked being able to have these delivered and the shampoo and conditioner were gentle on my hair. I didn't even know that Living Proof had a color care version until I found it on Amazon. Very happy!" - Carol on Amazon.
3. HSI Professional Argan Oil Heat Protector
Product Claim: HSI Professional Argan Oil Heat Protector protects hair from heat exposure.
3 Honest Reviews Of HSI Professional Argan Oil Heat Protector
- "This product is amazing!!!!!! It leaves my hair so soft and shiny!! Best thermal protector I got so far." - Patt on Amazon.
- "It’s truly the best sprayer I’ve found in a heat protector. It gives good solid sprays. I’ve encountered problems with other sprayers." - Meshelle on Amazon.
- "First of all, smell so good, even the next day I still can feel the scent, once my hair is completely dry I spray a little bit over my hair and let it dry for 2 minutes and start with the flat iron, is so easy, and the result is perfect, so shining, very natural." - Meg on Amazon.
4. Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Heat & UV Protective Primer
Product Claim: Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Heat & UV Protective Primer is a sweet-scented product that claims to control frizz and prevent breakage.
3 Honest Reviews Of Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Heat & UV Protective Primer
- "And it smells good too. So... I have naturally curly hair and it can get super frizzy, in humidity, which I live in every day! This product is the first product in FOREVER that I can use and it will create soft, large curls that stay all day long." - Cheryl on Amazon.
- "First time trying this brand and I wasn't disappointed. Makes your hair super soft! You can spray on after washing to detangle, on dry hair to make it hydrated, and also before blow-drying I've found the best results to use it right before blow-drying. Spray liberally! It doesn't make your hair greasy or weigh it down!" - Jen on Amazon.
- "Here's why I LOVE this product:
- Smell. YUMMY smells with a bit of coconut and some other fabulous smells.
- I trust it is protecting my hair from the super-heat of the blow dryer.
- It sprays on very easily. Ease of use.
- It sets my hair up for getting styled beautifully." - Farnoosh on Amazon.
5. Moroccanoil Perfect Defense Heat Protectant
Product Claim: Moroccanoil Perfect Defense Heat Protectant claims to blend seamlessly with your styling regimen while protecting your hair from heat damage.
3 Honest Reviews Of Moroccanoil Perfect Defense Heat Protectant
- "I am growing my hair out and my hairdresser uses a flat iron on the ends of my hair. I noticed she uses the Moroccanoil Perfect Defense and thought I’d try it at home. It does seem to protect my hair from the iron and I will probably purchase the larger size when I’m through with this. Highly recommend this to protect your hair from heat damage." - Kendle on Amazon.
- "Smells like heaven. It has restored and protected the colour of my hair and the condition as well. I am addicted to the sea salt smell (that’s how I describe it) and am very happy to spend the money. Totally worth it." - Calli on Amazon.
- "It feels very light in my hair and smells AMAZING. My hair feels super smooth after straightening it. Definitely recommend it over other thermal protectors" - Customer on Amazon.
6. Curl Keeper Thermal Heat Defence
Product Claim: Curl Keeper Thermal Heat Defence protects your hair from heat damage and keeps your curls from stretching.
3 Honest Reviews Of Curl Keeper Thermal Heat Defence
- "Silicone-free heat protector - great find!! I normally wear my hair curly, but it’s nice to be able to blow dry and not worry about crazy damage. It’s a great feeling to run my fingers through soft, straight hair for a change!' - Maria on Amazon.
- "Great product! Conditions well without weighing down my hair. I have less frizz. My curls are more defined." - Kate on Amazon.
- "I'm not sure what all the bad reviews are talking about but this product is amazing! I have 3b/3c hair and it completely protected my hair when I used a flat iron. Like even as I straightened my hair it still felt so healthy. I used this and Maui moisture's sea mineral heat protectant." - Shania on Amazon.
7. Mielle Organics Mongongo Oil Thermal & Heat Protectant Spray
Product Claim: Mielle Organics Mongongo Oil Thermal & Heat Protectant Spray causes your hair to shine and protects against heat damage.
3 Honest Reviews Of Mielle Organics Mongongo Oil Thermal & Heat Protectant Spray
- "This product is solid when squeezed and when you massage it into your hand your body heat melts it into its oil/liquid form. I like that it has a mild and nice fragrance. I’ve been using this pomade to oil for unraveling my twist-outs or Flexi rods sets. It definitely helps with frizz control and adds a nice shine to my hair." - Olivia on Amazon.
- "Loves the smell of the product and a little goes a long way. I do see how it protects my hair from heat and doesn't leave my hair hot to where I can't touch it. It works with different levels of heat too. It doesn't leave my hair feeling rough. I am able to add or use other products after to give my hair more shine and softness. Also, it does actually help with controlling frizzy hair which is one of the other reasons I purchase the product. I would definitely continue to purchase this product and would and have recommended Mielle to a friend." - Angelica on Amazon.
- "Was looking for an alternative heat protectant, as my previous was heavy on coconut ingredients and it was causing me to break out on my hairline. This was a welcome change, and my hair is fine with heat tools every other day. Split ends were reduced." - Jessica on Amazon.
8. Briogeo Farewell Frizz Blow Dry Perfection & Heat Protectant Crème
Product Claim: Briogeo Farewell Frizz Blow Dry Perfection & Heat Protectant Crème minimizes frizz, smooths hair, and protects against heat up to 450°F.
3 Honest Reviews Of Briogeo Farewell Frizz Blow Dry Perfection & Heat Protectant Crème
- "I spent hours looking through heat protectants and this was the only one that really ticked all of my boxes, hope it doesn't get discontinued for a long time." - Jake on Amazon.
- "This product is wonderful because it protects from high heat...up to 450!. It smells great too and it is not sticky or tacky. Keeps your hair soft and smooth too. I highly recommend it!" - Tex on Amazon.
- "Great heat protectant that leaves your hair looking shiny and frizz-free!" - Anita on Amazon.
9. Cantu Thermal Shield Heat Protectant
Product Claim: Cantu Thermal Shield Heat Protectant helps reduce frizz and flyaways, and protects hair against heat damage.
3 Honest Reviews Of Cantu Thermal Shield Heat Protectant
- "Think of this bread as your hair with the protectant and without, it’s amazing what this stuff can do. Not to mention, it’s got a beautiful scent and it’s really lightweight, I’ve used it on my hair and I don’t get the burnt hair smell at all and I have the satisfaction that it smells good and I know it works. And all this for like $4? That’s insane. This is a great but for anyone and for any hair type. 10/10 I HIGHLY recommend you get this heat protectant!" Linda on Amazon.
- "I used this heat protectant with the Cantu Leave-in Conditioning Mist and it left my hair moisturized and lightweight and fluffy! Y'all I was so happy with my results! This is a great affordable product that works wonderfully and I am a very satisfied customer!" - Ms. Linda on Amazon.
- "Really helped protect my hair from heat. I usually blow-dry and then flat iron my hair so having this in my hair is a must. My hair smells great!" - Caroly on Amazon.
10. Creme of Nature Argan Oil Heat Defense Smooth & Shine Polisher
Product Claim: Creme of Nature Argan Oil Heat Defense Smooth & Shine Polisher helps control frizz and protect against heat damage.
3 Reviews Of Creme of Nature Argan Oil Heat Defense Smooth & Shine Polisher
- "Protection against heat styling, smooth & eliminates frizz, Infused with Argan oil while protecting your hair from harmful heat-styling." -Edna on Amazon.
- "I’ve purchased this from my local beauty supply store but I had to write a review! I’m natural and my hair is type 4 but I like to blow out my hair when I use some protective styles. With that being said, I’m very adamant about making sure my hair is nicely moisturized and protected, but at the same time not too weighed down with products. Sooooo let’s get to the good part...instead of using my typical spray-in heat protectant as well as an oil, I used this as the “O” in my LCO method, and let me tell you! It was most definitely worth it! This product coated my hair so well and left my hair nice, soft, and most definitely protected. I’m quite sure this will be my go-to for heat styling from now on." - Tee on Amazon.
- "Use this on your hair before you heat-style (flat-iron, hot-curl, silk press) and your heat breakage will diminish SIGNIFICANTLY. Caveat: This is Argan oil-based and very heavy." - Fashionista on Amazon.