What is a Hair Mask?
While you may have heard of or probably used a face mask, this may be your first time hearing anything about a hair mask. There's nothing deep or complicated about this. Just like a face mask, a hair mask hydrates and nourishes, only this time around, your hair gets the care. If your natural hair is suffering from hair damage of some sort, a hair mask is one of the best ways to restore it to its glory.
What Are The Benefits of A Hair Mask?
1. It Helps To Restore Hydration
As I have mentioned already, this is one of the core benefits of a hair mask. If you live in an environment where the weather is harsh, your hair and scalp can easily lose moisture and this can lead to dryness, itching, and even hair loss. A hair mask helps to restore lost moisture to your scalp and hair.
2. It Makes Your Hair Soft and Gives It Shine
Because one of the core functions of a hair mask is to hydrate your hair, it leaves your hair feeling soft. Another benefit is that a hair mask gives your hair shine, no, not the greasy shine or the type that causes dandruff. A hair mask gives your hair a natural hair shine, the one that'll get you loads of compliments.
3. It Doesn't Consume Time and It Is Cheap
Going to a hair salon to care for your hair could have you spending hours. However, with a hair mask, you don't need more than 45 minutes to give your hair some tender loving care. Another benefit of a hair mask is that it is cheap — you can buy it at a store or simply DIY.
4. It Restores Damaged Hair
The use of heat tools, chemical ingredients in hair products, poor hair care, among others, can cause your hair cuticles to break or fall out. As I have mentioned earlier, one of the best ways to restore damaged hair to its healthy form is by using a hair mask.
DIY Hair Mask For Damaged Hair
If you would like to make your hair mask by yourself, this short tutorial by Calicurls is a great place to get started.
What you need
- Spray bottle
- Hair clips or bands
- Three raw eggs
- A cup of mayonnaise
- 1 - 2 teaspoons of honey
- A bowl
- Whisk spoon
- Shower cap or plastic bag
Step 1: Spritz your hair
- Fill your spray bottle with water and spritz it all over your hair.
Step 2: Section your hair
- Section your hair into smaller parts and then clip or tie each section with elastic bands.
Step 3: Make your hair mask
- First of all, crack the eggs into the bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise and pour in the honey.
- Then, whisk the mixture thoroughly.
Step 4: Apply the hair mask to your hair
- First of all, spritz one section of hair and apply your mask from roots to tips.
- Next, use your fingers or a brush to detangle as you apply the mask.
- Also, you can twist each section after you are done applying the mask and detangling your hair.
Step 5: Wrap up your hair
- When you are done, cover your hair with a shower cap or plastic bag.
- Next, wrap your towel around your head and leave it for about 45 minutes.
Step 6: Take the twists out
- Take off your towel, shower cap, and undo your twists.
- Finally, wash your hair thoroughly using a shampoo.
Step 7: Your hair mask routine is done
- Now, your hair is well moisturised and your hair damage-free journey has begun!